Variable Set

Aug 20, 2009 at 9:03 PM

Sorry to bug you again but knee deep in this now..When setting the Variable for the OSD Task Sequence you still need to set that variable within the Collection the taask sequence is going against right? If so and you have multiple apps for different user groups how would you differentiate apps for the different groups, ie certain group only gets 5 of the 10 apps within the variable group defined for that collection?

To clarify what I am trying to accomplish:

I am using OSDAppChooser after the base apps are installed via the "Install Software - Install Multiple Applications" and pointing to a variable for the collection the task sequence is going against, about 15 apps. I than install some apps based on a wmi query for laptops or desktops and than run the OSDAppchooser for specific user groups within the company. My plan is than to have the build engineers prompted for what department the machines are going to and being able to pick the department from OSDAppChooser to install the correct apps for that group.

Let me know if I have made this clear as mud!

Thanks again for your help.

Bill

Aug 21, 2009 at 9:12 PM

Question: I'm running SCCM version 4.00.6221.1000. Would upgrading to R2 be advised? REason I ask is that it seems from reading posts out there that there have been significant changes to OSD in R2.

Just asking your opinion.

Thanks

Coordinator
Aug 22, 2009 at 4:24 AM

There is no need to set a variable anywhere else, OSDAppChooser will create it from scratch for you. Thus, if you are using the default base variable of OSDAppChooserApps, it will create OSDAppChooserApps001, OSDAppChooserApps002, OSDAppChooserApps003, etc. There is no need to have an actual OSDAppChooserApps variable.

I'm not sure if follow the rest of your question(s) though. Maybe given the above you can re-state them and it'll become clear for me.

As for upgrading to R2, absolutely it is worth it, if just for Unknown Computer Support which is the major addition. Nothing in R2 is a change; R2 is a "Feature Pack" with add-ons like mutli-casting, unknown computer support, srs reports, and blank variable prompting. Note that R2 is not a freebie though. If you have an MVLS version of ConfigMgr, then it should be free, but if not, you will have to pay to get it.

Aug 24, 2009 at 2:53 PM

Thanks for the info. Issue I am running into is when I get to the task for OSD to start the auto-population it skips to the next task and states in the CMTSTS log that there is no setting for OSDAppChooser 001. We have the R2 cd here so my next task is convincing mgmt that we need this upgrade.

Thanks for your help. will let you know how this works after the upgrade.

Bill