App ID

Aug 19, 2009 at 7:32 PM

Hello, first let me say great work with this application (answering/solving a lot of issues I had with redoing a build for my current contract). Question I have is with version 2 you have added the App ID field within the xml file. I don't know exactly where to find the app id tag within sccm to than properly call the application with this new version of OSD App Chooser.

Any guidance is greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Bill

Coordinator
Aug 20, 2009 at 12:53 AM

Thank you for the complement. As for the App ID, it is any unique ID that you want it to be and is not from ConfigMgr at all; the sample file uses GUIDs I generated in Visual Studio. The unique id allows you to reference a single app in multiple places in the tree using an AppRef tag. The app list at the top also establishes the install order which would be very difficult to do otherwise.

Using GUIDs for unique identifiers is generally considered a best practice but is not required, the id must just be unique within the file. There are many online GUID generators, here's one I found by using Bing: http://www.guidgenerator.com/.

Aug 20, 2009 at 7:52 PM

Thanks